One of the benefits of working from home is that I get to work in my pajamas; however, that means that I don’t bathe every day. I shower on days when it matters. Other than that, it pretty much doesn’t happen. If I’m at my house, I’m probably in my Old Navy pajama pants and my “Jargaritas” My Drunk Kitchen t-shirt. When I leave, I dress nicely, but it’s often a dress and leggings, so that I look professional, but still feel like I’m wearing pajamas. My hair is short, so I throw on a big, chunky headband and call it good. And my makeup consists of fairly thick, black liquid eyeliner and mascara, because it takes about 15 seconds to apply and looks like I tried.
I had a party tonight, and by that I mean “I went to work,” rather than “I threw a party,” because the not-at-home part of my job consists of hanging out with awesome women for a few hours and talking about sex. I also didn’t shower today. I didn’t even get dressed until 5:30pm. And, though by outfit was super cute, with my favorite new black sweater that’s off one shoulder and has an awesome giant black belt; and, though I wore my favorite ash grey Toms wedges; as I was driving down the highway, I looked in my rear view mirror to check, well, the highway, and I realized the thing I completely forgot to do was refresh my makeup!
So, here I am, all dressed up and professional, and I’ve got a left eye that looks semi-alright and a right eye with about 95% of the eyeliner gone and the other 5% in tiny little chunks! Awesome! I rubbed on the left eye a bit to see if I could at least make them match. (That could be a “look,” right?) That didn’t work out too well. I’m unfamiliar with the area where my hostess lives, so I stopped at the first familiar place that I thought might have some sort of makeup, which was a Quick Trip. They didn’t have ANY makeup, whatsoever. I was hoping for a CVS or a Walgreens, but no such luck.
Thankfully, when I got to my hostess’ apartment, none of her guests had arrived, so I was able to sneak away to the bathroom and managed to get off most of the remaining eyeliner. I say most, because the eyeliner I wear is pretty hardcore, and simple water and toilet paper isn’t enough to get rid of it entirely. I actually had a facial a few weeks ago, and the aesthetician was impressed by my eyeliner, because it didn’t come off during her treatment. (If you’re looking for a good, long-lasting, awesome looking liquid eyeliner with a BRUSH, instead of a stupid felt tip sponge, I highly recommend Jemma Kidd. It’s about $16 at Target.)
The party turned out well, despite the eyeliner mishap, which I explained at the beginning of my party. I felt it was only appropriate. Sales were good, I booked two parties off of it and gained three consultant leads, all of whom are going to attend our monthly meeting in a few days. Apparently, even someone who has on 3/4 worn off makeup from the day before can be successful in this business!